Saturday, November 03, 2007

New stuff

I need to do some new thinking. In many ways I haven't yet used this blog as I had intended to. It hasn't yet been a collector of images relating to my work, nor a documentation about my work. In fact, really the only references to my work have been a link to photogalleries on the right-hand side bar of the page! I haven't used it as a way of noting my thought processes about my art practice; it's really just been a journal of some (not all) gallery visits I've made, which is fine, but the question is, why?

Partly it's been a question of time. I've been running another blog for family and friends in tandem with this one, and if I'm honest that blog won most of the limited time available for me to sit in front of a laptop and post articles... but in some ways that's a disingenuous excuse! The underlying problem in my art practice is my own lack of confidence in what I do, and I find all sorts of excuses not to do it because I'm afraid of it. Silly, isn't it? If I used half of the time I spend worrying about my art practice actually doing something that contributes to it, I'd be working a lot harder than I have been... and it's not as if I'm unsuccessful; I lack belief in myself.

This is not a new problem, but I do need to approach it in a new way, and perhaps this blog can help. There are a lot of people out there who struggle with conflicting demands in their professional and personal lives; I'm hardly unique, and I'm well aware that they're out there because I read some of their blogs.

Anyway, it's time for me to work more productively, and hopefully more regular postings will be a part of that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin