Saturday, June 05, 2010

Ups and Downs

We've had fun this week with the arrival of three baby guinea pigs, but today the joy turned upside down... darling daughter, eight years old, bubbly, fun, caring and so delighted with her new arrivals, accidentally dropped one of the babies on a concrete floor when it wriggled through her fingers as she admired it. She's never been careless with them, never wanted to hurt them, loves them to pieces and suddenly it all went wrong. I saw it happen and thought the poor little thing had broken its neck although more probably it had gone into shock. A little later on, reunited with its mother, it was a bit perkier but I fear it may not survive and that in the morning a little girl will be crying again because she may have killed one of her pets.

The precariousness of life is one of its greatest lessons. I don't have any religious faith and I'm not sentimental about small furry animals but I feel sad, and in the last few weeks there have been various things to feel sad about: a friend's son has broken his back in his teens and we don't yet know the prognosis, another friend has spent weeks in hospital after an industrial accident and is in an induced coma, and another friend who had a rare allergic reaction has struggled through the illness only to find that their family is almost broke and that they may have to sell up and leave the area.

I guess all we can do is hope and help as much as we can, sending out our love and support and accepting that life doesn't always throw us the things we dream about. I am learning slowly to enjoy what I have right now and not to think about what might happen tomorrow. I have a lovely family, I live on a beautiful piece of land, and I am making a garden and I am, when I bother to think about it, very blessed.

2 comments:

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Oh Sara,
Like you, I'm not sentimental about animals but I winced when I read about your daughter dropping the guinea pig. I hope all goes well. More importantly my thoughts go to all those people you mentioned. Life is sometimes not fair but happens anyway. Keep the faith. Lesley

Fiona said...

Hope the little critter survives. Whilst it is indeed a good life lesson, I think she may be scared to handle the others if this one pops his clogs. I wouldn't wish the guilt feelings on an 8-year old ... it will seem far worse to her than is proportionate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin